All BTS™ specification data can be found here
BTS™ Basic Features
The Benoit™ BTS-8™, BTS-6™, and BTS-4™ connections are multi-seal, high pressure Premium Integral Joint connections, designed for use under the most severe conditions, including – deep, high pressure and sour gas wells. These connections have also demonstrated exceptional performance in horizontal well completions. BTS-8™ is used on lighter weight tubing, while BTS-6™ and BTS-4™ are used on heavier weight material.
The multiple seal of the BTS™ connections guarantee leak-proof performance and sealing integrity of the connections even when subjected to a combination of loads, bending, and high internal pressure.
- The main characteristics of the BTS™ Two-Step design include:
- Internal 14° seal and torque shoulder, which is rated at the full API burst rating of the tube.
- External self-energized 30° seal and torque shoulder, which is rated both at internal burst pressure and 100% of the API collapse rating of the tube and acts as a secondary seal against internal pressure and as protection against external collapse pressure.
- Middle 90° torque shoulder, which in conjunction with the 30o torque shoulder ensures proper make-up each time.
- Modified non-interference threads which eliminate high connection stress and minimizes galling. The two-step parallel thread design helps eliminate cross-threading and prevents damage to the thread during stabbing and impact loading.
These combined features of the Benoit™ BTS™ provide a connection that exceeds tube body rating in tensile, burst, and collapse efficiency, reduces make-up time & problems, and offers increased sealing reliability even under the most adverse conditions.
When close tubing running clearance requires smaller than standard O.D. connections, both BTS-8™ and BTS-6™ can be provided with Special Clearance outside diameters.
Make & Break Performance
All BTS™ carbon steel connections are treated with a special phosphating process to ensure optimum protection against corrosion and galling. Chrome Alloy tubing is sugar blasted and dry molly coated for protection and increased resistance to galling. These processes provide superior make-up characteristics and sealing integrity even after multiple make-and-breaks.
BTS™ "PR" (Protective Ring)
Both BTS™ connections are available with a "PR" (Protective Ring) feature in the box, which consists of a precisely machined groove at the rear of the 14º seal and a protective ring installed in the groove. During make-up, the ring is compressed and locked into position. Used mainly for internally coated tubing, the protective ring provides a completion to the internal coating as well as an effective protection of the internal metal-to-metal seal against corrosive fluids and gases, and reduces flow turbulence.
Highlights of BTS™
- Multiple metal-to-metal seals that guarantee leak-proof performances and sealing integrity.
- Two-step-non-tapered design allows for deep stabbing – which helps prevent cross-threading, minimizes galling, and requires fewer turns for complete make-up.
- Exceeds API tube body rating in tensile, burst, and collapse efficiency.
- Modified non-interference thread elimainates high connection stress and minimizes galling.
- Special clearance outside diameters when close tubing running clearance is required.
- Coatable 100% HF.
- Protective "PR" Ring (feature available for internally coated pipe.)
- Reliable after multiple makes-and-breaks.
Application of BTS™ Tubing Connections
- Production of oil & gas under extreme pressure from deep, severe service wells.
- Gas service applications.
- Production in H2S & CO2 and other corrosive environments.
- Downhole clearance applications.
- Applications where high compressive loading occurs, and / or high torque connections are required, such as work strings. Excellent for horizontal completions.